The vExpert award is an achievement given by VMware to those people that stand out in the virtualization community and go that extra distance to share their knowledge and their specialties.
The criteria VMware uses are as follows (also listed on their site via: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-18314)
- Value to the community. Did you create something valuable for the greater community of VMware users, such as a blog, book, tool, event, or presentation? Both technical and non-technical contributions are considered. This is the key criterion for the vExpert award.
- Technical merit. If your contribution was technical, was it correct and useful?
- Effectiveness. Were your contributions effective in making VMware users more successful?
- Professionalism. Did you communicate in a professional manner?
- Reach. Was your contribution useful to a large number of people? This award weighs public contributions that the entire community can benefit from.
- Effort. vExperts typically put forth a great deal of time and effort over the course of the year, often beyond the boundaries of their normal day job. Did you demonstrate sustained effort in your virtualization projects in the past calendar year?
Couple new things for this years vExpert talent pool. First off there is the new additions of the new Paths. Those are the Evangelist Path, the Customer Path, and the VMware Partner Network Path.
- Evangelists are classified as “book authors, bloggers, tool builders, public speakers, and other IT professionals who share their knowledge and passion with others”.
- The Customer Path is classified for “internal evangelists and community leaders from VMware customer organizations”.
- The VMware Partner Network (VPN) Path is classified as being for “employees of our partner companies who lead with passion and by example, who are committed to continuous learning and to making their technical knowledge and expertise available to many”.
More information about these different paths are available: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-18313
Another new item for this year is that everyone will have to apply. Nominations are now no more than invitations to apply.
So if you happen to know of someone that stands out, whether that’s a blogger, a company’s representative, a VMUG leader, or any IT professional that goes above and beyond to help out the virtualization community, please invite them via: http://www.jotform.com/form/20442343290
Or if you think you are a good candidate, apply here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDdCbGNtanVuVW5iblM1dVNIMkpDVXc6MQ
Best of luck to all the applicants!